Monday, May 14, 2012

My Response to "The biggest haters of the natural hair movement".

This blog is in response to a blog post I have read on FaceBook titled "The biggest haters of the natural hair movement".

I have been natural now for 7 months and when I first decided to post my pictures on FaceBook of my head.. (very little hair on top) I received a lot of the "why you do thats" from friends, family members, and people I haven't seen in years. I also received love and admiration from friends and family members after the shock has worn off. You see I was the first one between my mother and I to get a relaxer because I wanted the ease of doing my own hair. Also on picture day when my hair was cute going into school it was puffy by the time it was picture time. And shortly after I got a relaxer my mother followed suit. My mother went back to being natural a year before I did. Her last relaxer was in June 2010 and she transitioned for a year. Then decided to cut her relaxed ends right before my wedding. I was happy. I followed suit shortly after. When my aunt showed my grandmother pictures of me after I went completely chemical free to my grandmother she was in shock as well.  My grandmother said why did I cut all my hair off that was my crown and glory... But she has rocked a jeri curl yes you read that right ever since they were the new thing.. And take into effect my grandmother is close to 100.. (I get her age wrong daily).. But I can see why she said that cause growing up she love me hair in braids and beads or whatever style my mom put it in.. She is ok with it now.. She love watching the growth from the pictures I post on FaceBook. But it wasn't a relaxed vs natural thing, it was a long hair vs short hair.. She doesn't care if it is long and straight, loc'd, curly, or fro'd, as long as it doesn't look dry or a mess. LOL. I have never come across older women who has had an issue with my hair it was more of a shade being thrown from younger ladies who doesnt have the confidence to go back to being natural or they are saying to themselves I want to do that but I just cant that has the funky stares or the whispers so loud that you can hear them.. I have had few encounters with ignorance in my life, I can deal with it. But then you get the ladies who want to know how you do a certain style or what is your regimen, or my best one yet can you do my hair like that. So me myself I love all the attention I get, but the main person who has to walk around and be ok with my hair is me.

Until next time... 

No comments:

Post a Comment